Virtual Vacation to a Tropical Island
We all need a beach getaway, and I am not going to let being stuck indoors stop me (or you). It’s time for a virtual vacation to a tropical island. This post has everything you need to trick your brain into believing that you are sun bathing in paradise. So put on your beachiest pajamas and read on.
Set the tropical beach video (hours of water lapping on fine sand) to fullscreen, add a piece of fruit to your drink, and relax. Below are some great products that bring island living into your home. Think pineapple string lights, chocolate covered macadamia nuts, and free octopus printables. You will also find a list of the very best (my favorite) beach movies.
Virtual Vacation to a Tropical Island - Video Backdrop
Set this video to fullscreen and be transported. The rescue boat won’t get here for days, so wiggle your toes into the sparkling sand and relax. Listen to the waves, breath in that ocean air. The palm trees are heavy with coconuts and tropical birds. Did you bring your uekele? I hope so. Thank you, TheSilentWatcher, for this video escape.
Let me recommend either a faded marooned look or an aggressively-tropical resort style. Both are transformative (hyperbole?). Here are two model characters and a few excellent examples of beachy loungewear.
The warm sun has faded Mandy’s two-piece number into a soothing blue ombre. She’s been on the island for three weeks. She enjoys making seashell crowns and moulding sand into lounge chairs. She can catch a fish with her bare hands.
Carl was the king of shuffle board until he was tossed off the boat. Now he is the king of the island. This is the guy who knows where to find all the best coconuts. He’s a little sun burnt, but he’s tough.
Sand is for sandals
The sand demands that you are free-footed or flip flopped. But slippers need a little fluff. Slide these puppies on for your virtual vacation.
Bring home the beach with these island-inspired products.
Free vintage octopus printables
A candle that smells like driftwood and ocean air
Coconut oil scented with tahitian gardenia
Work with what you've got
I went to school in Seattle, Washington (Go Huskies!), where the skies are grey and your boots are wet. One mid-winter day, I came home to the smell of sunscreen. I found my roommates “laying out” on beach towels in their bathing suits right next to their bunkbeds. The heat was on high and it truly felt like a little get-away. Plus, they all survived the winter. With some imagination, you can evoke any environment. Bring that beach feeling home. Take a virtual vacation.
tropical flower combs
compass necklace with custom engraving
Throw paradise on your wall and wake up to an ocean view! This removable, self-adhesive wall mural will bring warm, sandy shores right to your living space. It’s so realistic, you’ll worry about your slippers getting carried away by the surf. Thank you wall26!
*Click on any of the above products and be wisked away to their sites of origin for purchasing options. As always, I receive zero commission.
12 Movies That Take You to the Beach
Let your brain relax into the tropical scenery and enjoy the adventures of some memorable characters. Shout out to Elvis and Gidget. You are excluded only because your movies remain on my to-be-watched list (shameful, I know).
1. The Beach – Leonardo DiCaprio on a secret beach with sharks, drugs, and Moby
2. Cast Away – Tom Hanks does his best to stay sane while stranded alone on a tropical island.
3. Love Wrecked – Amanda Bynes tricks her celebrity crush into thinking they are shipwrecked on a deserted island. The kind of terrible we love to love
3. My Father the Hero – A compulsive liar with a new crush drags her father into playing along with her dramatic tall tales. This funny, bizarre, and often cringeworthy story is full of heart. Set at a resort in The Bahamas
4. Weekend at Bernie’s – Two guys, who are unwittingly involved in a fraud coverup, escape the city to vacation with their boss in the Hamptons. They don’t let their boss’s surprising demise stop the party.
5. Muppet Treasure Island – The best movie version of the classic novel. Trust me. True to the book with the addition of an underlying Kermit/Piggy love story and hit songs like “Cabin Fever.”
6. Pirates of the Caribbean – Pirates, treasure, love, and a ghost ship.
7. Blue Lagoon – Two young cousins are marooned on an island and must navigate puberty and survival with very little guidance. The plot is awkward but interesting, and the film really makes you feel like you just caught a fish with a handmade spear.
8. Forgetting Sarah Marshall – A man goes to a Hawaiian resort to get over his ex only to find out she is staying in the next room over. This hilarious romantic comedy is filled with actors who are known to make us laugh.
9. Mamma Mia – A young bride-to-be invites three men, each of whom might be her father, to her wedding on a sunny Greek island. The players sing and dance their way through this romantic comedy set to the music of ABBA.
10. Fool’s Gold – Will the search for treasure rekindle this divorcing couple’s love? Everything in this movie is beautiful- the people, the boats, the scenery. It’s a great escape.
11. Just Go With It– Adam Sandler tells a pretty young woman a complicated lie in order to maintain her affection. The lie evolves each time his story is questioned, and he ends up recruiting his co-worker and her children to act as his fake family on a Hawaiian vacation.
12. Blue Crush – Kate Bosworth plays a dedicated surfer training for a competition. She meets a man and struggles as her attention is pulled away from her friends and her goals. This is a surf story about finding balance.
What do you think?
Leave a comment and let us know what you feel is the greatest beach movie.
More from the Blog
Visit the Indoor Life Blog for ideas and products tailored to indoor living
Help finding health insurance plans- for free
Help Finding the Best Health Insurance PlanThere are people who offer free help finding health insurance plans that best fit your needs. They work like travel agents, but for insurance plans. You tell them the medications that you use and which doctors you need access...
How to be Happy in an Unhappy World
How to be Happy in an Unhappy World It can be disheartening to see all the wrongdoings happening in the world. And our techy connectivity makes it almost impossible to miss news of the day’s top ten atrocities. We were not built to deal with exposure to such...
How To Live A Meaningful Indoor Life
You Need 3 Things You need three things in order to live a meaningful indoor life – purpose, connection, and a great pair of slippers. Being stuck indoors because of a limited lifestyle can be bleak. The world inside our homes (or hospitals) can become repetitive...